I know people say children should come with an Owners Manual, but I am convinced a "Book of Short Answers" would suffice. In recent weeks, I have learned that the shorter the answer the better. If you say too much, the questions start coming faster and more in depth (kind of like a bad Tetris game on speed)!
Yesterday my day started out fabulously. Elizabeth and I were running errands - just us.
We just left the funky place where Elizabeth gets her hair cut and admiring the little baby boy in the waiting area. We were in the care driving home and listening to the radio. Innocent scenario, right? WRONG! Elizabeth (out of the clear blue) says, "Mommy, how do babies get in your belly?" (Just so you know, this is the exact moment when I would usually say, "Elizabeth, I bet your daddy can explain it better than I could. Go ask him.") Remember I said that it was just Elizabeth and me? Yep - stuck. So I said, "God puts the baby in your belly." Elizabeth:" How does he know you want one?" (Oh, great.....this isn't going in a positive direction....) "Well, Elizabeth. God just knows that you are ready and he gives you a baby to love." Elizabeth won't give up, "Why did we have Jackson? I wanted a baby sister." Me: "Peanut, we don't get to pick whether our babies are boys are girls. God decides." Fortunately she got sidetracked and the conversation sort of ended after that.
Fast forward to the church foyer later that evening. We had just eaten a Krispy Kreme donut and needed to wash our hands. Wilson took Jackson to the boys bathroom and I took Elizabeth to the girls. Makes sense, right? Well, Elizabeth is washing her hands and asks, "Why can't daddy and Jackson come in the bathroom with us? We are just washing our hands." Me: "We girls need our privacy. You might be washing your hands, but there are other people that are doing things that should be kept private from the boys." Enter "Other people" from the nearest stall..... The lady looks at me and smiles and says, "Great answers!" I looked at her and giggled. With a smirk still on my face I said to her, "This is nothing. You should have been with us several hours ago when we discussed where babies come from!" She raised her eyebrows and said "Oh, that was probably fun." Yep, another day in my life with a very inquisitive 5 year old!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment