Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Creating Memories

My goal is always to make fun memories with my little ones.  I work so hard to “create” these perfect moments whether it be arts and crafts, photos, fun excursions, etc.  I spend so much time gathering the necessary items, making plans and timelines only to have it all crumble before my eyes.  Little people don’t always act like you expect, want what you want when you want it, or understand why you get frustrated when things don’t go well.

Lately I am attempting to be more creative.  I am not crafty or even really spontaneous, but I want to spend time with my kids (not just watching tv).  These past few weeks as I have attempted to force a “moment” to remember, I am realizing that spur of the moment things can be fabulous and a lot more fun than anything I could plan.  Those random pictures of the kids, maybe not in that cute sweater that you are saving for that special day or that cute sundress that you are holding on to for a special occasion, are the best ones.  Some of my most treasured memories are crazy, chaotic moments that weren’t scripted and I am lucky if I have my camera around to capture.

I have read so many times the magazine articles about pulling out the good china and no longer saving it in bubble wrap in a cabinet or the book that says to wear your cute dresses or jewelry now.  I always think, “I am going to do that.”  And then I never do.  I want to live now.  I want to enjoy now.

What are you waiting on in your life?  What special dress or necklace are you saving for that next special event?  What about today?  You aren’t guaranteed anything – so today is special!

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! If only we all could remember not to worry what others think and just have fun and be in the moment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids are getting SO big, Courtney! And they're just too cute! Exploring creativity with your kids is a good thing. If you haven't already, sign up for Michael's kids email newsletter...can't remember the name of it. And the newsletters always have links to coupons. Good luck - and Enjoy the Journey as Tim Holtz would say...

    ReplyDelete